Luas Customer Information: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Last updated: 22/09/2020
Wearing a face covering is required by law on Luas and other public transport. Doing so helps protect yourself and others.
Measures continue to limit Luas capacity in this phase, especially during peak hours, and we therefore ask for customers' understanding and co-operation on this issue. Though restrictions are easing, and people can now travel anywhere in Ireland, please only travel on Luas when your journey is necessary.
It is advised that you use your TFI Leap Card to pay for your trip where possible. We ask Luas customers to adhere to seating and standing restrictions on board and to follow HSE and Department of Health advice when making necessary journeys.
See how you can keep yourself and others safe, as well as what we are doing to help stop the spread of COVID-19 below.
Luas is continuing to run normal operating hours and frequency. Travel update information can be found at www.luas.ie/travel-updates, on the Luas App, and on Luas Twitter and Facebook. RTPI information can be found on passenger information displays at Luas stops, on the Luas App, and on www.luas.ie by selecting the line and stop from which you are travelling from the 'Luas Live Information' section.
Thank you to Luas employees and to all front-line workers who continue to work to provide essential services.
We are updating this customer information guide as new information becomes available.
We are all personally responsible for helping to stop the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
We ask you to:
- Wear a face covering, which is required by law, in line with guidelines from the Department of Health.
- Consider whether your journey is essential. This will ensure that those who must use the service have adequate space to practise physical distancing.
- Avoid travelling during morning and evening peak hours. Make your journey at other times of the day if at all possible.
- Plan accordingly and allow plenty of time for travel.
- Keep space between yourself and other passengers on trams and on platforms.
- Adhere to the seating and standing restrictions on board the tram.
- Ensure you adhere to proper respiratory (cough and sneeze) etiquette, covering your mouth and nose with a sleeve or tissue.
- Follow personal hygiene advice as issued by the HSE and the Department of Health. Always wash your hands properly or use alcohol hand rub wherever possible after using public transport, and avoid touching your face.
- Keep the windows open. Windows are being left open to ensure air flow through the tram.
- Use a Leap Card to pay for travel wherever possible instead of paying for tickets at ticket machines. You do not have to touch the Leap Card to the validator, but hold it as close as you can to the validator without touching it until you see / hear that it has Touched On / Off successfully. Leap Cards can be topped up online at www.leapcard.ieor by using the Leap Card top-up app.
- Use a Contactless Payment method when purchasing tickets to limit your contact with surfaces. All Luas Ticket Machines now accept Contactless Payments for credit / debit cards, Google Pay, and Apple Pay for transactions up to €50.
- Take your tissues and rubbish with you and dispose of them in bins provided on platforms to help us keep Luas clean.
- Walk or cycle instead of travelling by Luas where possible. This helps ensure that there is space for those who must travel by tram to keep physical distance between themselves and others.
We continue to:
- Carry out an enhanced cleaning regime, including an additional disinfectant wipe-down of all touch points and the drivers’ cabs. This is in addition to the deep cleaning which takes place daily in line with HSE and Department of Health guidance.
- Work to ensure a normal frequency of the service is maintained to accommodate physical distancing as best we can.
- Keep our Customer Service Centre open, Monday – Friday from 7am – 7pm and Saturdays, Sundays, and Bank Holidays from 8am – 6pm to provide you with up to date information and to address any queries you may have.
- Adhere to amended procedures for staff in relation to contact with customers to ensure the safety of all. Luas Customer Agents in hi-vis vests are on platforms and trams reminding customers of physical distancing guidelines.
- Disinfect touch points on trams when they reach the end of the lines in addition to our enhanced cleaning regime.
NTA, along with Luas and other operators, have implemented a scheme for TaxSaver ticket holders who have been unable to use their tickets for travel. To see the basic information that has been agreed click here.
For daily updates and full information and guidance on what measures you should be taking during these challenging times, see www.hse.ie and www.gov.ie.
Luas Customer Service can be contacted on LoCall 1850 300 604, by e-mailing email@example.com, or through Luas Facebook and Twitter @Luas.