Luas Customer Information: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Last updated: 20/05/2020
From Mon 18th May, everyone is now advised to wear a face covering in some situations, for example in shops or on busy public transport. Wearing of cloth face coverings may help prevent people who do not know they have the virus from spreading it to others. Guidance on safe use of face coverings can be accessed here.
Public transport is currently restricted to essential travel only which is for the purpose of buying food or medicines, going to medical appointments, and for carers and essential workers. It is advised to use your TFI Leap Card to pay for your trip where possible. We ask Luas customers to adhere to seating and standing restrictions on board and to follow HSE and Department of Health advice when making essential journeys.
See how you can keep yourself and others safe, as well as what we are doing to help stop the spread of COVID-19 below.
Our colleagues are working tirelessly to continue to provide a full service to ensure essential and frontline workers can get where they need to go. The service will run as normal unless otherwise advised. Travel update information can be found at www.luas.ie/travel-updates, on the Luas App, and on Luas Twitter and Facebook. RTPI information can be found on passenger information displays at Luas stops, on the Luas App, and on www.luas.ie by selecting the line and stop from which you are travelling from the 'Luas Live Information' section.
Thank you to Luas employees and to all essential workers who are working to flatten the curve.
We will update this customer information guide as new information becomes available.
We are all personally responsible for helping to stop the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
We ask you to:
- Consider whether your journey is absolutely necessary. This will ensure that those who must use the service have adequate space to practise physical distancing.
- Keep space between yourself and other passengers on trams and on platforms.
- Adhere to the seating and standing restrictions on board the tram.
- Ensure you adhere to proper respiratory (cough and sneeze) etiquette, covering your mouth with a sleeve or tissue.
- Follow personal hygiene advice as issued by the HSE and the Department of Health. Always wash your hands properly or use alcohol hand rub wherever possible after using public transport, and avoid touching your face.
- Keep the windows open. Windows are being left open to ensure air flow through the tram.
- Use a Leap Card to pay for travel wherever possible instead of paying for tickets at ticket machines. You do not have to touch the Leap Card to the validator, but hold it as close as you can to the validator without touching it until you see / hear that it has Touched On / Off successfully. Leap Cards can be topped up online at www.leapcard.ie or by using the Leap Card top-up app.
- Use a Contactless Payment method when purchasing tickets to limit your contact with surfaces. All Luas Ticket Machines now accept Contactless Payments for credit / debit cards, Google Pay, and Apple Pay for transactions up to €50.
- Take your tissues and rubbish with you and dispose of them in bins provided on platforms to help us keep Luas clean.
- Wear a face covering as recommended by the Department of Health if you are unable to maintain physical distancing on trams or platforms.
- Enhancing our cleaning regime to include an additional disinfectant wipe-down of all touch points and the drivers’ cabs. This is in addition to the deep cleaning which takes place daily in line with HSE and Department of Health guidance.
- Opening platform-side doors at every stop automatically so you don’t need to press the buttons to open them yourself.
- Working to ensure a normal frequency of the service is maintained to accommodate physical distancing as best we can.
- Keeping our Customer Service Centre open, Monday – Friday from 7am – 7pm and Saturdays, Sundays, and Bank Holidays from 8am – 6pm to provide you with up to date information and to address any queries you may have.
- Changing our procedures for staff in relation to contact with customers to ensure the safety of all. Luas Customer Assurance Officers in pink hi-vis vests are on platforms and trams reminding customers of physical distancing guidelines.
- Disinfecting touch points on trams when they reach the end of the lines in addition to our enhanced cleaning regime.
We are working with the NTA to answer your questions regarding Taxsaver ticket refunds. Many Taxsaver tickets have been unable to avail of public transport services as a result of restrictions being put in place in response to the COVID-19 crisis. NTA along with Luas and other operators are now designing a process to implement the scheme. To see the basic information that has been agreed click here.
For daily updates and full information and guidance on what measures you should be taking during these challenging times, see www.hse.ie and www.gov.ie.
Luas Customer Service can be contacted on LoCall 1850 300 604, by e-mailing email@example.com, or through Luas Facebook and Twitter @Luas.