Leap Card FAQ
is the Leap Card?
A Leap Card is a reusable plastic smart card that can be used instead of paper tickets to pay-as-you-go for transport in Dublin. Time based tickets (e.g. a weekly or monthly ticket) will be made available on Leap Cards in the near future. For more information go to www.leapcard.ie.
can I get a Leap Card?
You can get a Leap Card from any of the 400 Leap Card Agents (Payzone outlets), just look for the Leap Card sign; see www.leapcard.ie for the list of outlets - or you can get one online at www.leapcard.ie.
services can I use Leap Card on?
All Luas services, all Dublin Bus services and DART and Commuter Rail travel between stations within the 'Short Hop Zone' (all stations in the Dublin area from Greystones to Balbriggan and commuter Stations from Dublin City Centre to Maynooth and from Dublin Heuston to Hazelhatch) For more information go to www.leapcard.ie.
does the Leap Card work on each mode of transport?
- There are Validators located on poles at each end of Luas stop platforms. Before boarding the tram take your Leap Card out of your wallet and present your card to the front of the Validator. You will hear a positive tone to let you know you have successfully validated your Leap Card and the Validator will display an accompanying message with your starting balance.
- Travel on Luas as normal. A Customer Service Officer may ask to inspect your Leap Card to see if it has been validated for travel.
- After leaving the tram present your card to the front of a Validator to complete your journey. You will hear a positive tone to let you know you have successfully Touched-Off your card and the Validator will show you the balance on your card after travel.
- The fare to the end of the line will be deducted from your card when you Touch-On. When you Touch-Off the appropriate amount will be refunded to your card for your actual journey.
ON DUBLIN BUS:
- You have two options:
- If you are travelling a shorter journey than the maximum fare, state your destination to the driver as normal and Touch your card at the driver Validator where the driver will deduct the appropriate fare.
- You can pay the default maximum fare by simply touching your card to the Validator on the right hand side as you enter the bus.
ON DART & COMMUTER RAIL
- Touch On at the entry points of the station (or at a Validator on the platform) and Touch Off at the exit point (or at a Validator on the platform).
- Like with Luas, the system will charge a default fare when you Touch On, and then it will refund your card the appropriate amount when you Touch Off.
- The card can be used between stations within the 'Short Hop Zone'. This Zone includes all stations in the Dublin area from Greystones to Balbriggan and Commuter Stations from Dublin City Centre to Maynooth and from Dublin Heuston to Hazelhatch.
For more information go to www.leapcard.ie.
already have a Luas SmartCard; what is going to happen?
Luas SmartCard will be phased out in a gradual manner. Existing cardholders will have plenty of time and notice to change over. Leap Card is offering existing Luas SmartCard holders the opportunity to receive a free Leap Card at www.leapcard.ie . If you are an existing Luas SmartCard holder follow the steps below.
Exchanging Your Luas SmartCard for a Leap Card
- Click on www.leapcard.ie
- Click on the Request button under the Luas Smartcard image on the bottom left of the www.leapcard.ie homepage; this allow you to migrate your card online.
- Fill in the online Free Leap Card Request form; you’ll need your Luas Smartcard and your contact details for this.
- Submit your completed form.
- You’ll receive a confirmation on the website and by email with confirming that your request has been submitted successfully and giving you a request reference number.
- Leap Card will send you out a free Leap Card with a deposit on it to the address you provided. Depending on the demand you should receive your card within 10 days.
- Continue to use your Luas SmartCard until the ePurse balance becomes less than zero then start using your Leap Card
- When you get your Leap Card just top up and go!
- If you have any issues email firstname.lastname@example.org or Low-Call 1850 824 824
Will my Luas
SmartCard be automatically transferred to a Leap Card?
No, you need to go to www.leapcard.ie and request a Free Leap Card.
have a Luas SmartCard and don't want a Leap Card can I continue to use my Luas
Yes, you can continue to use your Luas SmartCard for a limited period. Luas SmartCard will be phased out in a gradual manner. Existing cardholders will have plenty of time and notice to change over.
have a Luas SmartCard and I want a refund?
If you do not wish to obtain a free Leap Card, you can apply for a refund of stored travel credit and reserve credit on your Luas SmartCard, subject to Luas SmartCard Terms & Conditions.
I use both a Luas Smart Card and Leap Card at the same time?
Yes, for a limited period. This is to give you time to use up any credit on your Luas SmartCard
How do I contact Leap Card?