Luas & Cycling
Luas encourages the integrated use of bicycles and trams in Dublin. Integrated bicycle and tram journeys are a convenient, fast and sustainable way to travel around Dublin. They also have added benefits for your health and well-being.
Combine cycling and Luas by cycling to a Luas stop, locking your bicycle to a bicycle rack and hopping on a tram to complete your journey.
Luas Bike Parking
There are bicycle parking facilities at most of the Luas stops with more than 700 bicycle parking spaces along the Luas lines.
You can park your bike at the following stops:
|Harcourt:||7 racks||Balally:||6 racks|
|Charlemont:||14 racks||Kilmacud:||10 racks|
|Ranelagh:||16 racks||Stillorgan:||15 racks|
|Beechwood:||10 racks||Sandyford:||34 racks|
|Cowper:||13 racks||Glencairn:||12 racks|
|Milltown:||10 racks||The Gallops:||5 racks|
|Windy Arbour:||30 racks||Leopardstown Valley:||10 racks|
|Dundrum:||10 bike lockers & 21 racks||Carrickmines:||7 racks|
|Info on Dundrum C+R:||Click here||Brides Glen||2 racks|
|Connolly:||8 racks||Kingswood:||8 racks|
|Abbey Street:||14 racks||Belgard:||3 racks|
|Jervis:||3 racks||Cookstown:||4 racks|
|Smithfield:||7 racks||Tallaght:||3 racks|
|Heuston||4 racks||Fettercairn||10 racks|
|Fatima||5 racks||Cheeverstown:||10 racks|
|Suir Road:||5 racks||Citywest Campus:||10 racks|
|Goldenbridge:||5 racks||Fortunestown:||10 racks|
|Bluebell:||3 racks||Saggart:||10 racks|
|Red Cow||13 racks||-||-|
To avoid causing issues for other Luas passengers, especially those with disabilities, please only use the dedicated bike racks provided.
There are also 10 bicycle lockers located at Dundrum Cycle + Ride Facility on the Luas Green Line. For information about renting a Bike Locker click here.
Carriage of Folded Bicycles
Folded bicycles, in their protective carry case or bag, are carried free of charge on Luas trams.
Cyclists should adhere to the following restrictions and guidelines in relation to carriage of folded bicycles;
- Folded bicycles must be in a protective carrying case or bag
- Passengers with folded bicycles must not obstruct doors
- Passengers with folded bicycles must not obstruct aisles
- Passengers with folded bicycles must stay with their folded bicycle at all times
- Folded bicycles are carried at your own risk.
In the event of service disruption or maintenance works affecting Luas services folding bicycles are usually accepted on Luas operated replacement bus services if fully folded, in case or bag and stowed as luggage, subject to space being available.
Carriage of Bicycles
Luas does not permit the carriage of bicycles on trams. There are two reasons:
- The first is that bicycles, other than the folded variety, take up a lot of space. Trams can get very busy and space is at a premium. We have a lot of people
travellingwith pushchairs and mobility impaired users in wheelchairs so most of the time we simply do not have enough room to allow bicycles as well. People often ask why we don't allow bicycles “off-peak” times. This is because Luas can be busy at any time. We carry lots of people late in the evenings when there are events and concerts on in the city. We also get very busy on weekends when there are big sporting events.
- The other reason is that it is not safe. There is nowhere on board the tram to stow a bicycle securely. In the event of a sudden stop or indeed taking off from a stop, a bicycle could fall on passengers. The reason we don't install places to secure bicycles on board is again one of space
as to do sowould take up valuable space for our passengers.
Dublin Bikes & Hiring Bikes in Dublin
There are Dublin Bikes stands located close to a number of city
There are also a number of independent bicycle companies offering bicycle hire close to Luas stops. Information is readily available on the internet.
Cycling in Dublin
To see the cycling map of
- Dublin City Centre (City Centre, Glasnevin, Drumcondra, Fairview, Clontarf, Killester, Phibsboro, East Wall, Harold's Cross, Ringsend, Ballsbridge, Merrion, Ranelagh, Clonskeagh, Crumlin, Walkinstown, Inchicore.)
- South Dublin (Clondalkin, Citywest, Saggart, Jobstown, Tallaght,
Firhouse, Ballyboden, Templeogue, Walkinstown, Crumlin.)
- Dundrum (Templeogue, Terenure, Rathfarnham, Churchtown, Milltown, Windy Arbour, Goatstown, Dundrum, Ballinteer, Mount Merrion, Stillorgan)
Safe Cycling Around Luas
Cyclists share space with Luas trams so check out how to Cycle Safely Around Luas for key information on how cyclists can stay safe when sharing space with Luas trams.
More Luas Cycle & Ride Information
- Your Top 10 Questions about Luas Cycle + Ride Answered
- Luas Cycle + Ride - Getting Started
- Improving Luas Cycle + Ride Facilities
If you have any questions please contact Luas Customer Care by calling 0818 300 604 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.